A Half Century of Library Computing
“Fifty years ago, the Library installed its first computer and began charting a course to bibliographic control and global shared access. On Jan. 15, 1964, the first components of a small-scale computer system were delivered to the Library of Congress and installed in the Library’s newly established Data Processing Office. Provided for in the Legislative Branch Appropriation Act of 1964 (P.L. 88-248), the IBM 1401 was intended for use in payroll, budget control, card distribution billing, accounting for book and periodical purchases and to produce various statistical and management reports.” (via Library of Congress Blog)
Comments are closed.