Taking a Twitter Break

It’s been an emotional few days for me. On Thursday and Friday, I was on Twitter quite a lot and, as is the norm for me., I was joking around with my fellow twits. Unfortunately, someone (and maybe more – although I can’t confirm) took offense to a few of my messages. A heated e-mail exchange ensued and we have since gone our separate ways (although I think we’re both still reeling from it – I know I am).

Because of this, I have decided to step off the Twitter machine for a while. While this is not an apology, in order to not offend anyone else (for the benefit of my fellow twits and blogging career), you won’t see twitter messages coming from the stevencohen account. You will continue to see posts from my lifestream as that is automatic.

Online networks are weird sometimes. You never know when someone will log on (after being absent from the service for a while – I’ve been there many times myself) and take offense to something that you’ve said. If you took offense to anything I’ve written, I hope that you will contact me or leave a message in the comments. I’d like to clear the air if possible.

If you want to see the posts, check out my Twitter account. I have not erased any posts and don’t plan to do so.

FWIW (for those that have asked third parties), I am still taking my meds and have not felt better in many years. My life, as far as I’m concerned is great. Wife is great. Kids are great. Work is great. All is great. Hopefully, Twitter will be great again soon.

16 Responses to “Taking a Twitter Break”

1. Karin Dalziel
    March 24, 2008 at 8:32 am #

I find it very hard to communicate in Twitter sometimes- the 140 character limit make it easy for me to lodge my foot firmly in my mouth. :P

2. Marianne
    March 24, 2008 at 8:38 am #

Sometimes the Social Web isn’t so friendly, I guess. I’ll miss your presence at Twitter, hope to see you back soon.

3. Michelle
    March 24, 2008 at 8:49 am #

Sorry about all the crazy. I hope your Monday starts better and proceeds into a wonderful week. Will miss your twits.

4. Chris M
    March 24, 2008 at 9:08 am #

I always find that online communication is risky as people cannot read expressions, etc. and things are often interpreted the wrong way.

Well, I hope your time off twitter is at least productive and we hope to see you back in the land of twitter at some point :)

5. joshua m. neff
    March 24, 2008 at 9:51 am #

I’ve tried to get into some deeper conversations on Twitter, and it’s just no good. And I’ve definitely thrown out some heated. off-the-cuff tweets that I’ve later regretted, all because I took someone else’s tweet the wrong way. Anyway, I’ll miss you on Twitter, but if you feel you need a break, you definitely need a break. Stay strong, my friend. And congratulations on having a great life in the real world (which is much more important).

6. Jason Griffey
    March 24, 2008 at 10:08 am #

I follow you, and I still am not sure where the drama came in. I read your tweets as funny most of the time, because that’s the way I expect you to be, most of the time. :-)

In any case, we’ll miss ya. But take the time you need.

See in a couple of weeks.

7. Ruth
    March 24, 2008 at 10:17 am #

I’m sorry to hear you got whapped by drama, Steven; I follow your tweets and, like Griffey, can’t figure out what you said that could be construed as offensive. We’ll miss you – hope you can return to Twitterland soon!

8. Chadwick Seagraves
    March 24, 2008 at 10:39 am #

This is unfortunate. Twitter is a community and I suppose this will happen, but I hope it can be reconciled. I agree with Chris M. that text based communication does not lend itself well to nuances of sarcasm, parody, etc. Body language, voice inflection, tone – all important to understanding the complexities of the wide variety of humor we humans enjoy.

I have maintained that view for many years although text remains my primary mode of communication. Oh well, come back soon.

9. Brad Spry
    March 24, 2008 at 11:20 am #

I am offended by your retreat.

10. rochelle
    March 24, 2008 at 11:21 am #

This really makes me mad and sad. I always find Twitter has a lot more life when you’re around. I appreciate unfiltered commentary (being an unfiltered sort myself) and am really disturbed whenever I read about subtle attempts to hush up others. Love ya, Reeno!

11. Dean
    March 24, 2008 at 11:25 am #

Steven,
    Funny you are getting “twitterpated” because the same thing is happening to me on the blogosphere.

Perhaps we need to write something together about the perils of online communication, how the flaming can get out of hand, etc.

Maybe we should call it “Web rage”
    Dean

12. Steven
    March 24, 2008 at 11:43 am #

Dean:

I think my story is a bit different than yours, although I don’t know exactly what happened in your case because you deleted your post. I can only read about what others said about your post. I wish you would have kept it online.

As far as I know everyone except one person on Twitter knew that I was joking and, as you can see by the comments here (as well as many e-mails that I have received that you can’t see), I’m not being “Twitterpated” at all. This was one person who took offense to something I said on Twitter.

I will miss Twitter, but I think it’s for the best that I not go on for a while.

13. Tim
    March 24, 2008 at 12:24 pm #

You’ve given me the first persuasive justification for my using Twitter–don’t miss controversy :)

14. Connie Crosby
    March 25, 2008 at 11:52 pm #

Not a bad thing to take a break from it once in a while. I get too absorbed in Twitter myself.

That being said, I enjoy the verbal jousting with you and miss that. I see a lot more acidic jabs between people in other communities on Twitter (some of the locals here are wicked nasty with each other) but they know it is all in good fun. I feel I’ve gotten to know you a bit better, almost as if we were working in the same office and chatting by the coffee pot periodically. Nothing deep, but trading info about each other. That’s the part I like about Twitter–makes me feel connected to all of you.

Anyway, stay cool. We can still find you here and via email.

Cheers,
    Connie

15. Meredith
    March 26, 2008 at 8:05 am #

Steven, you are awesome and it’s a shame that one person who has had blow-outs with plenty of people in the past would make you leave Twitter. Though I can understand because someone once made me feel the same way about blogging. It sounds like no one else misconstrued what you were writing. I just feel lucky that I’ll have the pleasure of your presence in less than 2 weeks.

16. Aaron Schmidt
    March 27, 2008 at 11:45 am #

Steven,

Even if you were just “joking around” when making fun of the CIL game night and me as one of its hosts (a premise I have doubts about), you were still making jokes at the expense of others and that’s not nice. Your comments likely
    weren’t offensive to most people because most people weren’t the targets. You were targeting Jenny and me by generally being negative and calling our pursuits childish.

###quote###
    actually. you have to be over 21 to drink. the video gamers wouldnt be allowesd at the bar anyways. lol

i see your point. Still not going to give the video game librarians a pass thoiugh. sorry.

really? Levine and schmidt will be playing beer pong at CIL?

shouldn’t the gamers be going to bed early anyway. it will be a school night, right?
    ###unquote###

And here’s an all to familiar non-gaming related “joke.”

###quote###
    oh, then at the bar, we’ll talk about being transparent. yay
    ###unquote###

You’re not the victim here. You made mean spirited “jokes” and got called out. Then you chose to take a break from Twitter instead of rectifying your behavior.

In the past you’ve not handled yourself well regarding aspects of the profession with which you take issue. You admitted to being a jerk about it and apologized.

I don’t see much of a difference here, except that you’ve been mean via Twitter instead of your blog.