Get a Grip

If you were offended by this, get off the Internet. Sheesh!

9 Responses to “Get a Grip”

1. joshua m. neff
    September 24, 2007 at 8:13 am #

Okay, I’m outta here. Bye!

2. Phoebe L.
    September 24, 2007 at 8:35 am #

I can’t say that I follow your reasoning. If I am offended by things that do not offend you, then I should hang up my mouse and stay home?

I think the fact that you are offended by my being offended is quite offensive.

3. Steven
    September 24, 2007 at 8:50 am #

Sorry about that Phoebe. I didn’t mean to offend. What I meant was that there are so many other more “offensive” images on the web that you must see everyday that doesn’t even come close to the mudflap girl.

It’s all relative I guess. Again, my apologies.

4. Dee M.
    September 24, 2007 at 9:08 am #

Stephen, I have long been an avid reader, and I enjoy the selection of links you bring to my feed reader everyday. However, I disagree with you that it is petty to be offended by the mudflap girl; but then I would, because while offended is too strong a word, I am uncomfortable with it, and I thought I would share why, so you had a different perspective.

I am uncomfortable with this campaign because I don;t think it is okay to objectify women to advertise anything at all, and the mudflap girl is objectifying women, by making them faceless and nameless idealized silhouettes, objects for the male gaze. Yes, libraries are meant to be for everyone, including truckers and car enthusiasts, but they are also supposed to be for women and girls. As a woman, I would not feel especially comfortable using a library that felt it was okay to use women’s sexuality (or anyone’s sexuality for that matter) to advertise.

Not only am I uncomfortable with the objectification of women in this campaign, I worry that the people this particular campaign is directed at are not going to find what the ad implies at the library.

Just my $0.02.

5. Laura G
    September 24, 2007 at 10:13 am #

Dee… now I’m a bit ashamed. I love the campaign. I seriously considered getting a button for myself. I hadn’t thought of it as objectifying women so much as taking back an objectification of women. Oh well. Guess I’m just odd.

6. Tamara Meredith
    September 24, 2007 at 12:54 pm #

The entire staff at the Eaton Public Library (just 30 miles south of the Wyoming border in Colorado) thinks this is just about the coolest ad campaign for libraries we’ve ever seen! Objectifying women? Heck, we’re all library goddesses here–we SHOULD be on a pedestal and glamorized. Hats off to the Wyoming libraries for having the creativity and the guts to pull this off!

Tamara Meredith, Director
    Eaton Public Library
    Eaton, CO

7. Edana
    September 24, 2007 at 1:20 pm #

From a sauce for the goose/gander, so to speak, perspective:

8. Ben Toth
    September 25, 2007 at 2:00 pm #

Strange logo. It suggests that your library is more than a bit stuck in the past, and about as creative as Hugh Hefner