Reasons Why I Didn’t Make the Cut

I didn’t make the top 25 list and here are the possible reasons:

1) PageRank – My PageRank is #6. I’ve never spent much time optimizing my blog for search engines.
2) Technorati – My blog isn’t indexed by Technorati, no matter how hard I have tried to get it in there (I’ve since given up).
3) Bloglines – There are many feeds in Bloglines that point to my blog (some I created and many that I didn’t). The one that has the most subscribers (about 5,500) hasn’t been updated since June. OEDb probably couldn’t find it. It took me about 30 minutes to locate the proper feed.
4) Alexa – My rank is around 660,000 – Not too bad, even though Alexa rankings are broken and have been for a long time.

Congrats on those who made the list. Have a beer on me. For those who didn’t, there is always next year (fingers crossed). ;-)

It’s hard to measure influence. I’ve given up comparing my blog to other blogs and have started concentrating on attracting readers. And if my recent numbers prove anything, it’s that readers come to Library Stuff in droves.. So, thanks!!

15 Responses to “Reasons Why I Didn’t Make the Cut”

1. Al White
    September 4, 2007 at 5:53 pm #

Hey Steve,

Here’s hoping for next year!

I’ve peruseed various blogs for over a year and you’re in my top 15! I try to check out 3/day, but with a dynamic library schedule, you know how often what is planned actually heppens. :-P

2. Meredith
    September 4, 2007 at 6:12 pm #

Yeah, that didn’t exactly make sense to me that you weren’t on there. I didn’t even have a chance, as my blog isn’t listed on DMOZ (who uses DMOZ?!?!?). I get really tired of rankings and ratings of blogs; the numbers never really show the impact the blogs have. Some of my favorite blogs are on that list. Others aren’t.

Recognition is still nice, and I congratulate those recognized as well.

3. Steven
    September 4, 2007 at 6:34 pm #

Thanks Al!

Meredith – Nobody uses DMOZ anymore. I didn’t even realize that it was still around. Also, I have the feeling that OEDb doesn’t know that much about library blogs, our history, and what measurements work.

Maybe it was just a PR stunt?

4. Ryan Deschamps
    September 4, 2007 at 7:10 pm #

Now now. If Michigan can lose to Appalachian State, then I can rank higher than you. :)

Yeah, there are a wide range of exclusions from the list that hit at the validity of that list of blogs. I don’t think it would be hard to create a stronger ranking of the (say) top 100 blogs that would include Library Stuff and Information Wants to be Free.

That said, I am totally milking my rank for all its worth. :)

5. Steven
    September 4, 2007 at 7:20 pm #

Milk away Ryan!

6. Greg
    September 4, 2007 at 7:28 pm #

Guess who the last dedicated editor of the LIS Weblogs category at DMOZ was? Exactly. And I resigned that position in April of 2004.

The criteria used in forming that list is laughable at best. Top 200 in Google results for “librarian blog?” DMOZ? Subdomain of a non-librarian blog domain (i.e., xxyyzz.lishost.com)? Let’s exclude everyone!

7. Michelle McLean
    September 4, 2007 at 8:08 pm #

Steven,

You’re top ten in my book and yes it was weird, lots of good quality stuff was missed – top ranking stuff.

8. Steven
    September 4, 2007 at 8:13 pm #

Greg: I was a DMOZ editor once as well and gave it up because it just became annoying to deal with them.

Michelle: Aw! Thanks!

9. Scott
    September 4, 2007 at 9:08 pm #

Steven, it’s really hard to make the cut if you aren’t in the mix in the first place. Given that the data for the entire set only shows 55 sites, and Library Stuff was not among them….

[Neither was TameTheWeb, BTW. But I'd argue that both you and Michael have a lot more "influence" than many of the folks in the top 25. So unless they revise their criteria a bit to include more library blogs, I think the results need to be taken with more than a few grains of salt.]

10. Ross Connell
    September 5, 2007 at 4:06 am #

Not that you need the kudos, but I’ve been sifting the library blogosphere for a couple of years as a professional development tool.

At the moment, there are only 4 feeds I look at on a daily basis, a decision based on personal utility versus the time it takes me to read them. Library Stuff is one of the four and has never been “on the bubble”.

11. walt crawford
    September 5, 2007 at 11:29 am #

OK, I’ll say it: Flawed as they were, my two studies of liblogs and their reach made a whole lot more sense than the OEDb list. A *lot* more.

And I can say that, since I’m #8 (for what that’s worth–add $2 and it will get me a cup of coffee).

I did apparently pick up 17 referrals thanks to the post. That resulted in yesterday’s numbers being…exactly the same as Monday’s number. Somehow, I’m guessing the huge international honor isn’t going to help my job situation much…

And, as I said on my own blog, I’m guessing my “proper rank” (whatever that might mean) is somewhere between #25 and #60, and maybe lower than that…but hey, as Ryan says, we milk these things for what they’re worth.

12. David Bigwood
    September 5, 2007 at 11:51 am #

Not a very good survey. One that misses you and Meritith and Michael Stephens needs to be fixed rather than published. Makes me feel better about not making the list.

13. Steve Matthews
    September 5, 2007 at 6:54 pm #

You were robbed Cohen. Robbed I say!

I’ll trade you my #17 for a bucket of chicken. Deal? ;-)

14. vonjobi
    September 7, 2007 at 3:35 am #

i think part of the problem is SEO-related. if you’ll notice, most of those on the list had the word “librarian” in the name of the blog. and you’re right, you’re not indexed by technorati. it’s amazing that everyone is linking to this post, but your blog doesn’t even show up in a list of blogs linking to the oedb post.

my own question is this: why bloglines? feedburner is more accurate.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Jason the Content Librarian » Blog Archive » Me, a top 25 librarian blogger? - September 4, 2007

[...] course there are other problems. For example, Steven at Library Stuff says that he can’t even get his blog on Technorati. Meredith at Information Wants to Be Free [...]